Human Resources Management
Certificates allow you to complete a specific group of university courses (for credit) as either part of your degree studies or separately. Additional details on certificates are available here.
This professional certificate is offered in both a one-year full-time and one-year part-time evening format and is designed to help expand your human resources (HR) skills. Courses are offered in a variety of related areas including organizational behaviour, training and development, planning, compensation, labour economics and recruitment.
Through in-class lectures and case studies, you will be exposed to today's issues in HR management. All eight courses in the certificate have been approved by the Human Resources Professionals Association of Ontario (HRPAO), and count as the academic component of the Certified Human Resources Professional (CHRP) designation.
This certificate may be pursued full-time or part-time as follows:
- Part-time/evening: Most courses are offered in the late afternoon (4-7pm) and evening time slots (7-10pm). Some are offered in a distance education format: either on the Internet or through correspondence.
York students who wish to pursue the certificate part-time concurrently with their degree must fulfill the certificate and degree requirements upon graduation. Students will declare the certificate program on their application to graduate.
- Full-time/day: This certificate may be taken during the day over two terms. Students who have completed 84 credits at York or hold a university degree, by June 1 of the year in which they hope to enter the program, may apply to enroll in this intensive day time stream.
Who can take it?
This certificate is open to currently registered York students and new applicants to York.
There are two certificate streams available:
1. You may apply to the intensive full-time day-time stream if:
- you have completed 14 courses at York or
- hold a university degree by June 1 of the year in which you hope to enter the program.
2. York students who wish to pursue the part-time certificate concurrently with their degree must fulfill the certificate and degree requirements upon graduation.
How to apply
If you are interested in applying to this certificate program, you must meet general admission requirements in addition to certificate-specific requirements.
Call either the Office of Admissions at 416-736-5000 or the Office of Student and Academic Services at 416-736-5222 to verify that you meet minimum admission criteria and that the certificate matches your goals and needs.